I decided to start from scratch:
1. Downloaded fresh apup.zip from Autopatcher.com
2. Ran Apup with just updater and autopatcher checked - Autopatcher is official (but empty, of course).
3. Ran Apup with XP SP3 - problem: XP red, false: traced that to the Windowsupdate_X86 files, deleted that module folder, ran apup again to download the update agent again. Now XP true and Autopatcher official.
4. Ran apup with other packs checked, one by one (Office XP, java, Adobe, Net framework, directX, extras), checking after each one - all OK
5. Ran apup with Office addon pack - now Autopatcher is unofficial again, with all packs true.
6. Deleted all fles and repeated steps 2 to 4 above, OK again Autopatcher is official, but without Office addon pack.
7. In a separate folder ran a second instance of Apup with just Autopatcher, updater and office addon pack. The pack is true but Autopatcher is unofficial.
I hope the above information may help (though perhaps not :-))
Edited by JRosenfeld, 16 March 2010 - 12:12 AM.