Apup failed while trying to download WIndows XP updates
Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:13 PM
Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:25 PM
Here is what you need to do:
Start apup, click options, in the address bar insert a 2 after releases, click OK
A new list will be displayed and you then select the releases you want to download, please note restart apup after you have completed your downloads and click default to return your apup to the main page.
The releases are placed in releases on a temporary basis in case there needs to be any corrections made.
BTW if you are needing to download Windows XP x86 there have been a few amendments made and these have not been uploaded to the server at this time, you need to have some patience for them to appear, notification will be posted once they are online
Edited by Whatacrock, 21 September 2013 - 03:28 PM.
Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:50 AM
I did that, it seemed to clear out the temp_bin directory, then showed a completely blank list. I then went back into Options, removed the 2, and the normal list came back. When I ran the update I got back to the original error....
... failure to download:
Sure enough, those files don't exist.
This time there was also a modal dialog bix with "Permission denied in prjUpdater.mdlGeneral.createPath at line 114". That didn't happen the first time. Digging in a bit, I found that the temp_bin directory was read only. No idea how that happened but it definitely wasn't me. I had to reboot to fix it but then got a whole load more application errors. So I downloaded a fresh copy of apup, ran it, and now it wants to downloaded about 300Mb of updates. It's been running for hours now and seems to be stuck at 3.8%. There are no errors reported, but something must be wrong.
Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:28 PM
I am unable to answer the problem regarding the errors you are receiving--- ViroMan is the programmer so he has the answers..
Will run my apup and redownload several releases to see if any problems occur
Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:37 PM
It didn't move, it just sat there for hours saying it was downloading wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe from download.microsoft.com. I killed it and re-started it with logging, same thing. Nothing useful in the log as far as I can see.
Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:55 PM
Will keep you informed..
Update: -- Windows XP x86 has downloaded with no problems, suggesting it may be a problem at your end..
Edited by Whatacrock, 22 September 2013 - 02:24 PM.
Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:22 PM
You can also try running apup with /verbose, that will give more logging but, I don't think it will add anything that will help for this area.
Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:38 PM
I tried again with a clean install on a different (also XP) machine and the same thing. Apup just sat there not doing anything.
Now on the original machine I am getting an Application Error "Permission denied in prjUpdater.mdlDownloader.addToDownloadQueue at line 108".
Going to try a Windows 7 machine next. Will keep you posted.
Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:49 PM
No luck on the third (Windows 7) machine either. Apup just hung after downloading about 100k of the first file, wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe
Rebooted my router, no difference.
So I looked at releases.list, which led me to autopatcher_xp_sp3_enu_20130915.script, and found the URL for wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe, which is http://download.micr...sxp-x86-enu.exe
So I tried downloading that file in Chrome, and the download stopped after about 100k, just like in Apup. No error report, Chrome just sat there doing nothing.
Then I tried it in Firefox and it downloaded that 25Mb file in about a minute.
Went back to Chrome and it also worked there.
So then I tried again in Apup and ALL the downloads went through perfectly - 301Mb in about 15 minutes.
Went to the other XP machine and now Apup works there too.
Now it could just be that microsoft.com has been having a bad day, but I've been working on this since yesterday and getting the same result, and the minute I downloaded that file in Firefox, everything started working.
I don't think we will ever know what happened here. Maybe some kind of cache problem between me and microsoft.com, which Firefox cleared out? No idea, just guessing.
I'm back to the old Unofficial/Unsupported Release problem, but not worried about that.
Thanks for all your help Whatacrock and ViroMan.
Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:48 AM
A note: Windows XP x86 and Extras have been updated and should be on the main page in the near future..
Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:49 AM
By the way, I forgot to mention that I also tried downloading wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe with Curl, and it also failed (before Firefox). If I ever get the problem again, I will get the http response headers, find out what is going on, and post back here.
Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:01 PM
Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:37 AM
Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:50 PM
Edited by ViroMan, 26 September 2013 - 07:51 PM.
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users